Monday 29 June 2015

No conversation shoud mean no legislation: The calorie labelling of alcohol

If you follow me on twitter, you may have already seen my constant posting about the calorie labelling of alcohol. This is part of my current research as part of my masters degree in health psychology. So why do I care, or more to the point, why should you care about calorie labelling of alcoholic drinks?


Drinking is part of most adults lives, whether it be socially or as a relaxant after a hard weeks work. We think nothing of consuming several alcoholic beverages in an evening at times (myself included!), without really thinking what we are putting into our bodies. These 'liquid calories' do not fill us up like food would, but still have impact on our health and our waistlines!

The European Commission are deciding this year whether to make this labelling on alcohol mandatory. However, there is no evidence to support that these labels will work in practice, meaning that the labelling could cost a lot of money, with little results.


My research is looking into what you want to see on your drinks, what you think will help you make better decisions and what you think will still allow you to enjoy a casual drink, yet still keep in shape and in good health. In my view, legislation should be designed with the populations view in mind. 

No conversation should mean no legislation


If you want your views to be heard please follow the link below to my survey:

No comments:

Post a Comment