Friday 19 June 2015

Seminar - An introduction to NVivo10

Having never conducted qualitative research before, and only really having brief experience of coding in my lectures, one of my aims is to learn more about qualitative research techniques. Attending this course on a piece of software called NVivo10 turned out to be very helpful to me, even if I was the only MSc student in my group!

Dr Liz Graveling talked us through the software using her own PhD project as an example. For me, this was extremely helpful, as I find programmes much easier to follow when I am given a 'story' or context to follow. What I like best about using NVivo is that you can code text as well as pictures, which may be of advantage in my dissertation project focusing on the calorie labelling of alcoholic drinks and how best to present this information visually.

Dr Graveling gave us lots of helpful hints and tricks for using NVivo and, even though this was a basic introduction, I am going to explore the programme further and make use of it to help my coding and understanding of themes in my dissertation data. Depending on how this goes, I may even transfer these skills onto my future PhD project.


Thanks to Postgraduate Skills Training for hosting this session.
And also thanks to Dr Liz Graveling.

No comments:

Post a Comment